The 5Th National and International Conference on Weaving ASEAN Cultural Connection
Changes, Adaptation, and Creativity
Walailak University Abode of Culture
222 Thaiburi, Thasala District, Nakorn Si Thammarat
Tel: +66 75 672508 -10
Fax: +66 7567 2507
- School of Liberal Arts, Walailak University
- School of Architecture and Design
- Institute of Research and Innovation, Walailak University
- Center for International Affairs
- Institute for southern Thais Studies Thaksin University
In the borderless world of globalization, nation-states and their territories are not so important as before. We should reshape the socio-cultural, political, and economic map of the world in order to facilitate its economic development. The state-of-art information technology and transportations today enable us to easily be connected. So, every countries can move forward together by creating a new territory with strong policy and shared visions to stimulate economic growth.
This new reshaping territory is a territory of community. Nowadays, the world has many communities. One community has not only potentials in development of itself but also has a power to negotiate with other communities. The ASEAN Community is also emerged under this condition. The establishment of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) is a major milestone in the regional economic integration of its member countries. All ASEAN countries has shared the same intention to move forward under the motto “One vision, One identity, One community”. Therefore, each country should have a well preparation to take part in ASEAN community by being active and effectively involving with the ASEAN neighbors for the community empowerment.
The ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC) is one of the three pillars of ASEAN Community. The cultural dimension plays crucial roles in uniting member states of the ASEAN Community and therefore making our community as strong and prosperous as other communities.
Walailak University has the main mission to preserve and reinforce Thai cultural identities as well as to integrate them into ASEAN cultures. In this regard, Walailak Abode of Culture plays a major role in promoting and exchanging cultural knowledge among our ASEAN friends in order to encourage their appreciations of the different cultural dimensions—not only for their own country culture but also for the differences of the neighboring countries.
With a great awareness of strengthening the cultural perspective in the ASEAN Community, Walailak Abode of Culture continuously organizes cultural activities with a main aim to promote ASEAN cultural integration which contributes to the unity of ASEAN Community. In August 2019, we are organizing the 5Th National and International Conference on Weaving ASEAN Cultural Connection under the theme “ASEAN Fabrics: Changes, Adaptation, and Creativity” to provide an academic platform for ASEAN scholars, researchers, and students to share and exchange the ideas specifically in arts and cultures issues that can contribute to the integration of ASEAN cultural dimensions uniting as one powerful creation for ASEAN Community betterment. This conference will be held on Thursday, 1st August 2019 at Laboratory Building of Technology and Innovation, Walailak University, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand.
1. To create one powerful cultural integration among ASEAN neighboring members for the community’s moving forward;
2. To provide academic platform for ASEAN scholars, researchers, artists and general interested persons to exchange the ideas and create cultural connectivity;
3. To generate new body of knowledge in ASEAN cultural changes and to find guidelines for enhancing the diverse cultures in harmony with current global changes to reinforce a power of change of the community;
4. To create cultural database of ASEAN countries collecting by Walailak Abode of Culture; the collected data will be a useful source of cultural records which the people can obtain them from the university as its community services.
3. Expected Outcomes
1. ASEAN scholars, researchers, students and interested persons have an academic platform to integrate their cultural knowledge. This will be a driving force for the culture of ASEAN community to receive the global recognition.
2. ASEAN scholars, researchers, students and interested persons have a national and international academic forum to share and exchange their ideas and to create cultural knowledge among them.
3. ASEAN scholars, researchers, students and interested persons can be able to create new body of knowledge of ASEAN cultural changes and to identify proper guidelines for cultural development to meet criteria for global recognition and to be the power of change.
4. Walailak University Abode of Culture will be a useful source of ASEAN cultural data for all interested persons. Whenever the data collection is done, it will be provided as the university’s academic services in the future.
4. Date & Venue
Thursday 1th August, 2019
Venue: The Laboratory Building of Technology and Innovation, Walailak University
1. Keynote talk on “ASEAN Fabrics”
2. Panel discussion on “ASEAN Fabrics: Changes, Adaptation, and Creativity”
3. Oral Presentations “ASEAN Fabrics” on the following themes:
3.1. ASEAN Fabrics and Cultural Wisdom and Ways of Life
3.2. ASEAN Fabrics, Changes and Adaptation
3.3. ASEAN Fabrics and Value Added Innovation
3.4. ASEAN Fabrics and Contemporary Cultures
4. ASEAN Fabrics Exhibition
5. Fashion show : ASEAN Fabrics
6. Conference Themes
The 5th National and International Conference on Weaving ASEAN Cultural Connection “ASEAN Fabrics” has four main themes:
1. ASEAN Fabrics and Cultural Wisdom and Ways of Life
2. ASEAN Fabrics, Changes and Adaptation
3. ASEAN Fabrics and Value Added Innovation
4. ASEAN Fabrics and Contemporary Cultures
Abstract Submission and Registration
1. Oral Presentations: the presenters are expected to submit;
– Abstract to be published in the conference proceedings both in Thai and English
– Full Paper to be published in the Walailak University Abode of Culture Journal TCI Group 2 (must pass a peer review process) OR the authors can select to be published in the conference proceedings
2. The presenters are required to submit the abstracts in the specified format by downloading the form at https://wacc.wu.ac.th with a clear state of their names and organizations. Each presenter has 20 minutes for presentation inclusive of 15 minutes presentation and 5 minutes for question and answer, and comments.
3. The presenters are required to submit papers/abstracts via email@example.com OR to make an online registration at https://wacc.wu.ac.th within June 30, 2019
4. All academic articles submitted for the publication must pass a peer review process considered by at least two qualified experts.
7. Important Dates
Conference Date: Thursday, August 1, 2019
- Submission of Abstracts or Full Papers : Deadline, June 30, 2019
- Notification of Acceptance or Rejection : July 1-10, 2019
- Notification of Acceptance or Rejection : July 1-10, 2019
- Announcement of Presentation Schedule : July 18, 2019
- Registration Date for General Audience : Deadline, July 18, 2019
- Conference Date : Thursday, August 1, 2019
- Presenters: 1,000 THB (including presentation’s fee, documents, lunch, refreshments)
- Audience: 500 THB (including documents, lunch, refreshments)
- Students: Free of charge for student listeners
8. Estimated Target Group and Registration Fees
20 presenters @ 1,000 THB
60 audiences (lecturers, scholars, and researchers) @ 500 THB
30 general audiences @ 500 THB
150 student listeners @ free of charge
9. Payment Methods
The presenters submit Abstract/ Full Paper Registration Form provided at https://wass.wu.ac.th , fill out the Form and make an online registration. After submitting the revised version of your Abstract/ Full Paper, please make a fee payment by 18 July 2019.
- The payment can be made via bank transfer to
Government Savings Bank, Tha Sala Branch
Savings Account Name: Walailak Abode of Culture, Walailak University
Account Number: 020259794145 (please specify “The 5th National and International Conference on “Weaving ASEAN Cultural Connection”)
- After the payment has been made, please fill out the provided form stating your details (name and address, tax ID (if any)) for issuing receipts, and then submit your proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- No refund for any cancellation but the replacement of the participant can be allowed.
- All fees of registration, accommodation, allowance etc. can be proposed for approval and support by your original affiliation. The disbursement must be in accordance with regulation on disbursement for official trainings, organizing meetings and seminars.
10. Fore more information, please contact
Ms. Pennapa Waiyawek
Walailak University Abode of Culture
Walailak University 222 Thaiburi, Thasala District, Nakhon Si Thammarat, 80160
Tel: +66 7567 2508 -10 Mobile: +66 8014 51064 Fax: +66 7567 2507
For more information, please visit https://wacc.wu.ac.th
11.Output and Key Performance Indicators
Output: Learning and understanding academic contents of ASEAN Fabrics in the following themes:
- ASEAN Fabrics and Cultural Wisdom and Ways of Life
- ASEAN Fabrics, Changes and Adaptation
- ASEAN Fabrics and Value Added Innovation
- ASEAN Fabrics and Contemporary Cultures
- Not less than 80% of target participants
- Not less than 80% of participants’ satisfaction
- Learning space of ASEAN Fabrics is provided and integrated through the outlooks of scholars in ASEAN neighboring countries. The strength of ASEAN culture can be pushed to be a global recognition.
- Providing an academic forum for scholars, artists and interested persons in ASEAN countries to share and exchange their ideas and create people bond and cultural connectivity.
- Generating new body of ASEAN cultural knowledge changing overtime and determining proper ways of cultural enhancement to reinforce ASEAN culture being able to become a power of change.
- The ASEAN cultural data base being collected by Walailak Abode of Culture, will serve as university’s academic services in the following formats:
4.1 Academic articles
4.2 Abstract books
12. Project’s Readiness
This project is ready for all participants, and has neatly set the action plans brainstormed by the conference committee. Keynote, invited speakers, and scholars are invited to join the conference beforehand. The conference venues and other information facilitating the conference are also well prepared.
13. . Risk and Risk reduction
Risks:Coordinating with a number of interested scholars inviting them to submit and present their academic papers under the topic of ASEAN Fabrics may consume a lot of time.
Risk reductions:By utilizing proactive PR and coordinating with certain units that are directly in charge of arts and culture issues of universities, embassies, or organizations in ASEAN neighboring countries may reduce the risk.